Football Makes for Lousy Music

I heard Kate Jacobs's "Rey Ordonez" yesterday. It's one in a long line of baseball odes, and there are lots of songs about hockey--but why doesn't anyone write about football?

Maybe it's because football isn't fun. Baseball and hockey have crazy fun-loving characters and lovable losers (I'm looking at you, Maple Leafs). Football has psychotics that (literally) commit horrible violent crimes; winning's not the main thing, it's the only thing.

So, this Super Bowl Sunday (don't sue me NFL), check in with Brian Wilson (who's making a case to be the next Bill Lee, apparently), find out why Gerry Cheevers's mask was so creepy, and listen to some music:


And if I'm wrong about football, let me know.

Popular posts from this blog

What Are the New Models of Professional Musicianship?

Taking a Break