I've Kind of Been Wondering the Same Thing

If you want to know how rock died, go to Steven Hyden's 10-part series Whatever Happened to Alternative Nation?. It takes forever--I'm only halfway through--but it's worth it.  

I particularly appreciated his evenhanded assessment of Guns N' Roses: in revealing how fraudulent metal bands had become, they were a psychotic precursor to Nirvana.
Yes, it helped that I was only 10 at the time, but GNR was unnerving in a way that even the scariest of metal bands couldn't touch ... Nirvana is credited with making '80s hair-metal bands look silly with Nevermind, but GNR had already done that with the "Welcome To The Jungle" video several years earlier.

It's this GNR that I remember--not those purveyors of cheese that brought us Use Your Illusion. Only a couple of weeks after the band filmed that "Jungle" video, I saw them open for The Cult in Halifax. They were loud, crude, clearly drunk. Best of all, they weren't Poison.

Popular posts from this blog

What Are the New Models of Professional Musicianship?

Taking a Break