The Loneliness of the Young Classical Music Fan

Through Andrew Sullivan's The Dish, I came across a blog post by 22-year-old Mary Sydnor, who bemoans the dearth of fellow classical-music travelers her age:
Sadly, at age 22, it is not an exaggeration for me to admit that I have no one my own age willing to discuss my greatest passion with me: classical music. I’m sure there must be other millennials out there who scrimp and save for yearly orchestra subscriptions or who’d prefer to party with Poulenc instead of P. Diddy (is that who the kids are listening to these days?), but I have yet to meet them.
Granted, the classical-music audience is predominantly 50 and over, but it's hard to believe that in a city like Philadelphia there aren't other 20-somethings out there going to concerts. The Philadelphia Orchestra is certainly trying to draw them out: it has a $25 subscription package for university students and a young professionals membership program.

Popular posts from this blog

What Are the New Models of Professional Musicianship?

Taking a Break