Five Things: Songs About Hockey

As a Mets fan, Opening Day is as good a day as any to talk about hockey.

1. Atom and His Package, "Goalie" 
There's a conversation going on about the value of obese goalies over at Andrew Sullivan's Daily Dish. One reader points out that the topic's already been covered in song. 


2. Stompin' Tom Connors, "The Hockey Song"
I've always found him a little hokey. But add one letter, and you've got "hockey."


3. Tragically Hip, "Fifty-Mission Cap" 
Until I heard this song, I had no idea who Bill Barilko was. Until I heard this song, I also had no idea that the Leafs had ever won the Stanley Cup. It had always sounded like crazy talk to me.


4. Rheostatics, "The Ballad of Wendel Clark"
I wanted to include "Queer" but couldn't find a clip. Poor Leafs fans: so many songs, so few Stanley Cups.


5. Claman/Toth, "The Hockey Theme" (The old Hockey Night in Canada theme song) 
Another Leafs fan! It's amazing they have any left.  


How to Play Hockey Night in Canada on Guitar

Popular posts from this blog

What Are the New Models of Professional Musicianship?

Taking a Break